1. Before you ask anything, make sure that you've read the FAQ

Game Suggestion Physics-related suggestions

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Sky Eye, Dec 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sky Eye

Sky Eye New Member

Zerahypt is a really fun game; don't take me wrong on that. However, I happen to remember that it was aiming for physics that are believable (not exactly realistic, but believable.) So, I noticed a few things that sorta broke that believable-ness:

First off, the Locust's single-bladed design would rattle itself to pieces in reality, because the blade's center of mass is not directly above the shaft. It would either need a second blade, or a counterweight to the single main rotor blade, in order to remain balanced and not shake itself apart. (I did notice the cool counter-rotating weight inside the shaft... I'm assuming that's that keeps it from torque-rolling; nice little feature.)

Secondly, I appreciate the use of differential torque to control land vehicles (it is perfectly plausible), but for vehicles with very long wheelbases, like the Spiffer, it would be very inefficient and unresponsive in reality; causing more tire wear and less actual turning. It would be much better off with a normal steering system; or better yet---four-wheel steering.

Also, the aircraft in the game lack any form of visible control surfaces... maybe they are steered with gyros? I don't know, but some ailerons, elevators, and rudder would make it all the more realistic.

Lastly, the ZP10 (the bubble-shaped skyfletcher with the pulsejet-like engine) "feels" like it has smooth thrust, yet the visible flames and noise say otherwise. I'd expect it to fly really shakily; being violently thrown forward each time the engine "bangs" and having no thrust at all in between each of them.

2. FonkDerok

FonkDerok Insane Furfag in a Position of Power

• Admin
    yea the couterturning thing on the Locust is a counterweight to the blade. i remember syrsa explaining that in a stream of video or something

as for the other stuff, i wouldnt know

3. SYRSA

SYRSA Administrator

• Admin
    Well, the wheeled vehicles that have differential steering might be not as efficient. But such vehicles have tires that are made to be smooth and durable, as you probably have noticed on the updated models, their tires are now round and without treads. This does decrease their traction, but the people who drive them are taught to handle them as if traction is non-existant and carry out their turns accordingly.

The vehicles like the Skyfletcher with carbondophers (the pulsing jet engine things) have those engines within a separate system that floats freely which is attached to the engine chassis through shock absorbent springs. So vibrations isn't much of an issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.